Registered Agent Services

What is an Agent for Service of Process?

Any corporation or LLC formed in California or qualified to do business here must have a registered agent for service of process with a physical address in California.  An agent is an individual (director, officer or any other person, whether or not affiliated with the corporation) who resides in California or another corporation designated by the corporation to accept service of process if the corporation is sued.  The agent must agree to accept service of process on behalf of the corporation prior to designation.

The registered agent can receive all forms of legal process, including lawsuits and subpoenas.  In most cases, the agent is usually an officer of the entity or the attorney for the business.

Why should we use an attorney as our agent?

If your company is named in a lawsuit, your attorney should be among the first to be notified.  Also, it cuts down on the junk mail you receive at the corporate office.

We offer professional handling of Service of Process, which means we will:

  • Accept Service of Process on your company’s behalf
  • Record the service in your company file
  • Scan the documents and email them to you if requested
  • Notify you via telephone and/or email upon receipt of the service
  • Ship the service to you via overnight delivery
  • Forward any official documents and tax notices received from the Secretary of State and/or Department of State for your company.

How much does it cost?

We offer to serve as the registered agent for any client on our annual retainer program.  If we receive legal process or official notices on your behalf, we will only bill you for expenses incurred to notify you of the matter.  We do not charge for receiving and processing junk mail.

How do I sign up?

Appointing someone as the agent for service of process is very simple and we can help you file the necessary paperwork for you.  Just follow these steps:

  • Sign up for our annual retainer program.
  • Fill out a new Statement of Information form and sign it.  Contact us if you need assistance choosing the right form.
  • Send us the original Statement of Information after you have fully completed and signed it.
  • Sometimes a filing fee is required, so contact us to determine if you must pay a filing fee payable to payable to the Secretary of State for $20.
  • Send us a copy of your Articles of Incorporation.

Please contact us if you have any questions about our services or if you wish to retain us to act as the registered agent for your company.

contact us
Law Offices of Carl H. Starrett II
1941-C Friendship Drive
El Cajon, California 92020-1144

Phone: (619) 448-2129
Fax: (619) 448-3036
disclaimers & stuff
First, the firm is a debt relief agency according to the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. We help people file for bankruptcy. We also do other stuff and we do it well, but Congress wants me to post this notice.

Second, nothing on this site is legal advice. You are not my client unless you enter into a written agreement signed by you and me.